• Removing Excess Moisture to Avoid Health & Home Problems

    • Vision Sensors Magazine
    • In Vision
    • 16 July 2016

    Checking the Wiring of House for SafetyThere are several problems that may result from excess moisture in your home. Whether it’s the product of bad insulation, recent flooding, leaks, or high humidity, moisture is bad news for your family’s health, pets, furniture, and electronics.

    Mold and mildew thrive in moist environments, causing health problems especially for those who suffer from allergies and respiratory concerns. Moisture may damage electronics such as appliances. Your furniture may suffer from marks left by mold and mildew or water.

    To prevent these problems, here are some steps you should take.

    Check Your Insulation

    Insulation that works will limit moisture problems. Your windows and doors should be fixed or replaced if they allow drafts in. If there are stains on your ceiling, chances are you have a leaky roof. Check the attic for mold. If there are shafts of light coming in, you’ve found the problem. Your ventilation may need checking as well. Check the basement for dampness.

    Tape a piece of clear plastic on the wall. If there is moisture in the plastic sheet after a while, you know your wall isn’t insulated well. You may need to replace your siding. Once your home’s insulation is fixed, your moisture problems may be over.

    Check Your Wiring

    If your appliances are getting damaged one after the other, excess moisture may have affected them or your home’s wiring. This is particularly dangerous because it may start a fire. First, make sure it’s not your outlets that are causing the problem. Use branch circuit testing equipment to check the voltage from your outlets. Sometimes, plugging in different appliances in one outlet causes the electricity to fluctuate or become inconsistent, leading to issues. If this is not the reason, you may want to hire an electrician to check the wiring, which may have been affected by moisture or other causes.

    Use a Dehumidifier

    If the humidity in your area is too high, it may be time to use a dehumidifier to bring the humidity levels down to a healthy level inside your home, which means about 30 to 50 percent. Beware, however, of bringing the humidity too low, as this may also cause other health concerns.

    In Case of Flooding

    Flooding will definitely leave moisture in your home even when everything seems dry. To remove the remaining excess moisture, call a professional mold and flood cleanup company. They have the equipment and experience to remove moisture and mold where you might not think to look. Call an electrician to make sure you're safe from electricity risks and problems.

    Excess moisture is responsible for many health and home problems. Be vigilant in protecting your home from it. The longer you neglect it, the more issues it may cause.